Mass Observation Diary



Last week on the 12 May I took part in the Mass Observation Survey.  I'd come across it whilst reading Sue's blog My Quiet Life in Suffolk.  You had to keep a diary of what you did on the 12th  May and then submit it to be kept in the archives.  I think I just waffled the whole day but got S to proof read it before I sent it off.  It got his seal of approval. 

I'm so glad I did it.  My diary will now be read by future generations.  I just hope they don't think I was some batty old lady who waffled a lot 😊

In 1937 Mass Observation called for people from all parts of the UK to record everything they did from when they woke up in the morning to when they went to sleep at night on 12th May. This was the day of George VI’s Coronation. The resulting diaries provide a wonderful glimpse into the everyday lives of people across Britain and have become an invaluable resource for those researching countless aspects of the era.


Comments

  1. Well done you to be included in such a wonderful project. I like this project idea & wonder if Canada has done something similar? I am sure there will be thousands of scrapbook projects about the pandemic. All of these projects will reveal that we are more alike than not because I am sure the who we are missing is universal, what we fear is a shared consciousnesses & the struggles will vary only slightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to hope that other countries do it as well. I just thought it would be a good thing for people to look back on in 100 years time. They will probably still think I'm a batty old woman that waffled a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting thing to do, future generations will be fascinated to see how we coped during this historic time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment