This is one of his recipes from the first episode and taste delicious.
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 2 medium Braeburn apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 200ml/7fl oz semi-skimmed milk
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- 300g/10½oz self-raising flour
- 2–3 tsp granulated sweetener
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 40g/1½oz raisins
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6 and line a 12-hole muffin tray with large muffin cases.
- Place the honey into a small non-stick saucepan over a medium heat and heat for 2–3 minutes or until it turns a dark golden-brown and just begins to smoke.
- Stir in the apples and spices and cook for 3–4 minutes, or until slightly softened. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Beat together the eggs, sesame oil and milk in a bowl. Mix in the mashed bananas.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sweetener, bicarbonate of soda and raisins. Make a well in the middle and pour in the egg mixture. Stir in the apples and any liquid from the pan. Spoon into the muffin cases.
- Mix together the oats and sugar and sprinkle on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer pressed into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack and eat warm or keep in a airtight container for up to 3 days and warm for 5 minutes at 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6.